Monday, January 7, 2013

I should be sleeping

Well, my plane leaves for Singapore in approximately 9 hours, so of course sleeping is out of the question! Bags are packed (and within the weight limit- I checked :)), electronics are charged, papers are in order, and I have just been racking my brain to remember "that thing I'm forgetting." I have a huge day (and then some) of travelling ahead of me with a total of 32 hours of transit before reaching Singapore, and a total of 39 hours before reaching my dorm. It all starts with an early departure (8am) from Traverse City to Chicago, where I will meet up with Amanda, a friend from CMU who will be finishing the journey with me! (yay!) After about a 6 hour layover in O'Hare I will depart for Singapore, with a brief stop for fueling along the way in Hong Kong. I am scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 1:30am Jan 9 local time (1:30pm Jan 8, MI time), at which time a (hopefully smooth) trip through customs awaits us. Then, we will kill a little time before checking into our dorms at 8am, and get right to business with NTU exchange student orientation at 10am! I foresee a lot of caffeine in my future for this part of the trip :) 

I am so grateful for the amazing Christmas break I had! I was able to see a lot of family and friends, celebrate my birthday, enjoy a little northern-Michigan winter by snowmobiling and skiing, and spend a lot of time just relaxing. However, I think it is all FINALLY beginning to sink in and, more than anything, I am ready to get to Singapore and get settled! So long, Michigan! See you in 4 and a half months :)

(Also, interesting fact I learned about Singapore TODAY: It is located at approximately 1.4 degrees north latitude! That's right, 1! With four months of that heat, even I better be able to come back with a tan..)
   
View of my dorm at NTU- Ready for the warm weather!
(http://www.ntu.edu.sg/hso/Undergraduate/HallsofResidence/Pages/Hall12.aspx)

Fitting my life into a large suitcase, duffel-bag, and backpack.
Huge thank you goes to two of my best friends for helping, you know I would
be last-minute rushing if not for you!


3 comments:

  1. Karleigh, we are SOOOO super excited for you! After I dropped off the kids at school, I went home to get ready for work. Pretty sure I saw your plane fly by our house. :-)

    Enjoy this amazing adventure, take lots of pics, make incredible memories. HAVE FUN!

    We love you,
    Aunt Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Karleigh! Safe Travels!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anxiously waiting to hear how the 39 hours go and your next blog! Love you! The Browne's

    ReplyDelete